Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Our Easter Weekend {randomness and yummies}


So we started off our Easter weekend on Thursday with my youngest's class party and egg hunt. He had a blast! Originally I had planned to make some PEEP-POPS for the entire class, but after painting eggs for a few hours on Wednesday night with a friend and her kiddos I decided just to make a few for them and for lil man's teacher and teacher helpers.


Aren't they cute?!
Just put some peep bunnies on a lollipop stick and dipped them into melted chocolate {almond bark}... then I added some sprinkles. Actually I had a bag of mixed sprinkles left over from a baking party I had on the 12th with a bunch of college girlfriends, so I put them to use. :) Then covered them with mini pink baggies and tied a pink ribbon on. They were cute teacher treats that lil man got to help with {sprinkles}.

eggs we colored with my friend and her cuties
made a super hero egg with lil man's first name initials - he has two first names
super hero egg's cape
my chick egg

On Friday we planned to go to the Louisville Zoo... too bad that the weather had different plans. So a quick search online and we decided to go to the Cincinnati Museum {3 museums for one LOW price and a day of fun and education}. At first lil man was sad he wouldn't get to see his favorite animals {giraffes} but when we walked in the entrance he was jaw-on-the-floor blow away! 


Saturday we went to an egg hunt at a friend's church and then more storms hit our area... so we cleaned up and I got ready to bake for Sunday while my husband curled up on his recliner sick... You know, the MAN COLD. {lol} Actually he had a severe allergy attack that turned for the worse and he is just now getting over it. 


So my baking/cooking for Sunday consisted of = Resurrection Rolls... Pizza Chena... and Ratatouille.

After Easter Basket time I sat with lil man at the dining table {with his cute little apron on}. I opened up our big children's Bible and read to him the story of Jesus' resurrection while we made the RESURRECTION ROLLS. I made them years ago, but hadn't since I was a children's pastor. Anyways- it was such a neat experience watching him take it all in. And when I cut open one {after baking and cooling} he cried out "where is the marshmallow?!" and was in tears... SO I got to go back over the story of how the tomb was empty and what each part represented and then he was jumping with excitement and gobbling up his treat... "Ooooh, now I understand!" {lol, too funny}


Here is a good link for resurrection rolls!

So while he enjoyed his goodies and his new movie 'Happiness is a Warm Blanket' {Charlie Brown} I cooked.


Every year, well for the past few years, I have gone back to a tradition that I missed from my teen years--- Italian Easter Meat Pie.... PIZZA CHENA! So I have been baking it now for 3 years and the husband LOVES it! We have never celebrated Lent, but from what I understand is that why my grandma used to make it on Friday was so that she would not pick at the meats and cheeses and then we would have it on Sunday. IDK, that's what I understand... I usually make it on Friday but we were gone and Sat was crazy with "the man cold". 


pizza chena
Anyways, I have always made it with store bought raw dough/crust... this year I went ALL OUT HOMEMADE! Let me just say it was a LOT of work but soooo totally worth it! Now we are a blended background so seeing as this was a new tradition to this family of mine, we decided that we will pick some favs and every year add to it, or take from it so long as we keep the Pizza Chena. 


ratatouille
My husband last year requested RATATOUILLE and well- it stuck with us this year! I made that from scratch also... dicing and dicing and dicing... did I mention there was a LOT of dicing? But wow- sooo good! After all that I did NOT want to bake {even though I LOVE baking} so I picked up these cute little mini egg-looking cakes from the grocery's bakery. 

we didn't get our Easter pics done yet... this is from the egg hunt
Hope you all had a fantastic EASTER!




Oh, and here are the bulletins I made for the Academic office on my college campus...


popsicle sticks and tulle 
remember the bunny and chick I made in a previous post? there they are!!


linked up...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh how I love comments {seeing I can be quite the chatterbox when I come out of my shell}...